About Me

My Photo
Brigide
I am a frazzled mother of 2 (4yrs and 14 months)that stays at home and attempts to keep house while crafting.
View my complete profile

Followers

What I'm Sewing To

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Easter, a few projects, and lots of rain....

Helloooo,
   It's been raining forever here. There was a small amount of sunshine today which my seedlings were happy for. I've got some green beans, squash, watermelon, jalapeno's, mint, sage, and lots of basil to plant out if it ever stops pouring down rain here....

   We had fun at Easter. We went to my MIL's house and did the egg hunt thing and had dinner. The baby is just a little over 16 months and she knew almost immediately what she was supposed to do. She'd pick one up and toss it onto the pavement to try to crack it open. I think we're in for trouble when she's older....smarter by a bit than the first one O.O






  I made some last minute egg baskets out of fleece and the Purl Bee tutorial. The boy wanted to keep his simple so we only did two lines of trim. They turned out okay for a 10 minute job.
 The dress the little one is wearing is the one posted about previously. I love it! It is just soo cute on her. I really hope she wants to be a girly-girl.



   They are sharing a ring-pop in this photo. So sweet.

    I finished up a couple of baby gifts this week. I do enjoy making baby things. They are usually small and easy.









   This one is for a girl, pink you see ;) The giraffe was from a pattern I've had in my stash for a bit and I found the fleece print in the remnants at Hancock. Worked out really well. The blanket is just some sort of soft furry minky or something, a remnant as well, bound in grosgrain ribbon with a little giraffe applique I whipped up. The pacifier clip is broadcloth with the same ribbon on it.











   The other gift is for a baby boy and I did a bit more work for this one. The toy is from this post and the quilt is my first attempt at anything approaching traditional quilting. I kept it simple and tried to work from what I had stashed. The batik's were new purchase but everything else, even the batting was stash. I like that they are boyish colors without being the usual powder blues that people buy for boys.
  I did a self binding on it which was a new thing for me too and I kind of liked it. It was simpler than using bias tape. I'm not sure it holds up as well as bias tape though. The pacifier clip was left over batik and ric-rac.

   After I finished those up I cut a new dress for me. I'm making a muslin this time around to see if I can understand the finer points of tailoring to fit. I'm really digging 50's vintage looks these days. I'm doing my hair more that way and I'm realizing that the clothing shapes work for a woman with curves, which I have plenty of. The cost for pre-made dresses are prohibitive to my budget so I'll be trying to work out how to make my own with reproduction patterns and sale fabrics. I'll let you know how all that works out.

0 comments: